Menu/List fonts honor Xft.dpi, graph fonts do not

Lutz Vieweg lvml at 5t9.de
Sun Feb 10 15:17:35 PST 2013

On 02/11/2013 12:01 AM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>>                  /* For blind people */
>>                  if (get_screen_dpi() > 150)
>>                          plot_scale *= 2;
>>
>> in plot_set_scale() (in the "case SC_SCREEN" case) which should make
>> the text be drawn in double size for people who have set their screen
>> DPI to a big value.
>>
>> Hmm?
>
> .. and here's an actual patch if somebody wants to try this out.

Tried it, does not work. gdb tells me that get_screen_dpi() returns 96,
not 200, so the source of that value seems to be different from the
Xft.dpi X resource.

I guess it is on purpose that Xft utilizes a dpi setting that can be
chosen independently from the actual screen dpi.

I found some text on this at http://scanline.ca/dpi/

(Changing the dpi setting of the X server in total, though, would have
some very awkward effects, and would also not allow me to use this mail
client I'm currently using while showing the "big font subsurface" at
the same time...)

Regards,

Lutz Vieweg