[BUG] Default sorting order and deleting a trip, while switching sorting orders

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 16:38:24 PST 2013

On 19 February 2013 21:27, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> "Lubomir I. Ivanov" <neolit123 at gmail.com> writes:

>>> Yeah, these are not new.

>>> This is normal gtk behavior. The initial ordering isn't really a
>>> "sorted" order, it's just the native order of the tree model (ie the
>>> order we've filled it in). The fact that we our native order is the
>>> same as the trip-date order is just happenstance.
>>>

>> perhaps it's still best to provide the visual indication to the user,
>> that there is some sorting order in action when the app. starts, even
>> if its not 100% the same as manually clicking on a column title. i.e.
>> we are sorting by "date" so the column should have the arrow
>> indication (up or down - i'm not sure) show on app. start.
>>
>> just found this in the GTK docs:
>> gtk_tree_view_column_set_sort_indicator
>>
>> it pre-sets the sorting indicator when the app. starts.
>> (example patch attached, but it follows # - explanation below)
>>
>> but i've noticed that trips are now only visible if we select the
>> "dive_list.nr" column, i can recall that this was the case for the
>> "date" column only.
>> hm, so if dives and trips are sorted by date on import, why are the
>> trips rows only visible for the # column?
>
> Because trips allow for dives with overlapping date ranges - so sorting
> by date really sorts all the dives by date.
>
> I don't see really compelling reason to apply the patch. It doesn't
> really fix a bug per se.

i usually add a SOB line if i think its something other than an example or test.
still a bit odd to have undefined or more precisely "unrelated to the
dive list columns" sorting initially, until the user picks a column to
sort upon.
but if it suits you, it suits me, i guess :-).

what the little patch does is to add an arrow at the # column, to
indicate that this is the current sorting order, as this is the only
user selectable sorting order trip expansion can be seen.
if he clicks another column, he then has to find which column had the
trip expansion functionality.

lubomir