So, did the Subsurface 3.0 announcement start a download frenzy?

Lutz Vieweg lvml at 5t9.de
Sat Feb 23 17:46:29 PST 2013

On 02/24/2013 01:55 AM, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> We have about 400 downloads of the binary packages for Windows and Mac so far

Sounds like a good start!

> I have no way of counting how many people downloaded the various Linux packages or cloned the repositories.

Well, a venture-capital financed start-up would probably just
count every Fedora >= 17 user into its user base estimation,
if not every Linux and git user ;-)

(Now multiply that by the $$$$ gullible investors assumed every
registered Facebook user to be worth, and the hypothetical
Subsurface Inc. is already worth billions!)

> We had about 4500 visitors to the website since the announcement.

A "conversion rate" of ~ 10% also sounds promising.

>> 288 video downloads IMHO is not a bad start, but certainly
>> leaves some gap for us to catch up on PSY, whose "Gangnam Style"
>> was viewed 1,349,256,013 times during the last 7 months.
>
>> @Dirk: If you could perform some funny dance-moves ...
> Umm. NO.

Ah, too bad, then I'm afraid we have to adjust our goals for
a much smaller target audience.

So let's survey the peer group, here is what I found:

divePAL iPad Tutorial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikppIc9Uae0
191 views since February 2012

"DivePal" - difficult to count since there
seem to exist tutorials on individual dive
computer models, made by a 3rd party.
Example for ScubaPro Galileo Sol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMJ1hNZYBcI
323 views since March 2012

Diving log tutorial (Excel)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucqfq0n9nag
464 views since September 2010

Dive Log on iPhone - overview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYXDI1XQCtY
2743 views since June 2009

Suunto manufacturer video tutorial on
How to transfer dive logs from Suunto Dive Manager
3.1 to Suunto DM4 with Movescount:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99s0BeSKD0M
4613 views since May 2011

I'd conclude that if Subsurface can attract more
tutorial viewers than Suunto's video on how to
migrate from the ugly SDM 3.1 to the just as ugly
SDM 4 over the course of the next 2 years, that
could be called a big success (and would, hopefully,
motivate Suunto to re-assign the SDM programmers to
tasks they are better qualified for, like polishing
the shiny metal casings of their wrist computers).

Regards,

Lutz Vieweg