Bulding 3.0.1 Under Ubuntu 10.04 i386

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Feb 28 09:50:40 PST 2013

On Feb 28, 2013, at 9:47 AM, Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Feb 2013, Robert Wolfe wrote:
>>
>> I am responding to this email with the link half expecting some sort
>> of "flack" from others on the mailing list, but, here is my
>> contribution (so far):
>>
>> http://fpsoft.net/subsurface/Debian/i386/
>
> Robert,
>
> I'd be interested to have a look at the package .diff:s for
> libdivecomputer and subsurface.  For those interested, debian package
> source consists of a few files.  Example:
>
> subsurface_1.2-1.debian.tar.gz	- debian specific files
> subsurface_1.2-1.dsc		- description
> subsurface_1.2.orig.tar.gz	- "original" tar ball
>
> It is the debian specific files I'm interested of.
> Maybe, a better alternative is to provide the package source, with a
> simple set of instructions, so the interested people can build their
> own, instead of providing binary packages for:
>
> * 3 debian versions/2 arch at least
> * 3 ubuntu releases/2 archs at least
> * 2 upstream tar balls (libdivecomputer and subsurface)
>
> How many binary packages does that add up to?

The problem is that our target audience are divers, not hackers.
Someone who can build from those sources can just build from git
But many people (even people running Linux) aren't comfortable building their own binaries. And for those I try to make their lives easier.

To me that means I need the Ubuntu packages - and those apparently can neatly be built with Launchpad (a couple of us are working on that right now).

Debian? No non-hacker is running Debian, I guess :-)

So in reality it really is Ubuntu that I try to cover here.