behavior on editing weights / cylinders.

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Wed Jul 17 12:07:08 PDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 11:22 AM, Tomaz Canabrava <tcanabrava at kde.org> wrote:

> Now, when editing cylinders and weigths, when you walk by the list of
> choices, it will also populate the working press and other thing that I
> forgot, but I see one drawback: what happens if there's no weigth on the
> database for that? right now it will clear the value, but I think that is
> bad - imagine that you just filled the cylinder, the wrigth, the pressure,
> etc, then just clicks on the cilynder again and press enter, it will clear
> weigth and pressure again - frustrating the user.

Agreed. Is this perhaps also related to the cylinder type issue I
mentioned, that if you don't actually pick a cylinder type at all (but
started editing it), it clears the size/workpressure fields?

> what you guys think is a better way to solve this?

I *think* that what the gtk branch did was to pupulate the weight type
with the name, but only populate the actual weight *value* with the
last value for that weight if it was zero before. That should be the
right behavior. If you have already filled in a particular weight
value ("12 lbs") then changing the type of the weight (say, "belt" ->
"Integrated") should definitely not change that value.

Unlike the cylinder type information, the type of the weight does not
specify much *much* weight you have. An "AL80" cylinder always has a
particular size (although we actually used to allow you to edit the
size field separately if you really want to), but a particular weight
system type does not always have a particular amount of weight in it
;)

               Linus