Visual Dive Planner

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Jun 24 11:54:08 PDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-06-24 at 09:22 +0200, Mekong Leonidas wrote:

>         > So for the visual interaction, as I mentioned on IRC:
>         >
>         > - I'd love there to be a sticky grid, i.e. 1m/5ft
>         increments, 1min
>         > increments
>         > - depth should have NO DECIMALS at all
>         > - the dive should start at depth 0 / time 0
>

>         These are all done
>
>         > - start out with enough space for 50m / 150ft and 60min
>         > - offer a "+10m/30ft" button and a "+10min" button so people
>         can go
>         > deeper / longer
>

>         That is stubbed out but doesn't work, yet.
>

> Please, make it a parameter, so divers can choose the initial
> depth/time duration. I know that 90% of my dives are in the 80-90min,
> and I have friends that are diving 100/120m weekly (with obviously
> very long deco stops, and a very long time)

I'll be honest with you - I'd be very uncomfortable if people planned
extreme dives like this with Subsurface. We use a straight forward
implementation of a well documented deco algorithm to do our
calculations. I have no idea if the algorithm will provide sufficient
deco for 120m dives - I had actually planned to put in a hard limit of
100m for that reason. And even that is pushing my comfort zone.

As far as duration, I was thinking to start with 60 minutes, so 80-90
minute dives should be no problem. Worst case you have to click '+' a
couple of times to extend the time displayed.

> If deco stops are added (automatically ?, maybe in V2), then the scale
> should be extended automatically

Deco stops are already added automatically (well, as my original email
said, there are still some issues with that). We need an intuitive way
to zoom in and out for that case so that very long deco doesn't shrink
the scale so much that it becomes impossible to modify the data points
that represent the actual planned portion of the dive.