Visual Dive Planner

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Jun 23 21:45:26 PDT 2013

On Thu, 2013-06-20 at 21:14 -0700, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-06-20 at 21:56 -0300, Tomaz Canabrava wrote:
> > So, I don't know how many of you are on IRC but today Dirk and I
> > started discussing about one thing that I really wanted to do for
> > subsurface - a Graphical Editor.
> > it already plots and manipulates data, but it doesn't yet generates
> > the dive - I need a bit of help ( the functions where I need help are
> > overly well documented on what I need. )
> > if you wanna get the code to test, fix bugs and help me a bit with
> > ideas, I'd be glad to hear them.
> >
> > https://github.com/tcanabrava/subsurface/commits/divePlannerTry3
> >
> > to test, go to view, Dive Planner.
>
> I think this is a great starting point. There clearly is a lot more to
> be done but I think this will be a killer feature if we get the details
> right.

We made some progress over the weekend. It's not really functional but
you get a better idea. I decided to push this to master, hoping that
more people will look at it this way.

> > Do not complain that no dive appear after hitting 'ok' - I know that :)
> > it's just the *visual interaction* for now.
>
> So for the visual interaction, as I mentioned on IRC:
>
> - I'd love there to be a sticky grid, i.e. 1m/5ft increments, 1min
> increments
> - depth should have NO DECIMALS at all
> - the dive should start at depth 0 / time 0

These are all done

> - start out with enough space for 50m / 150ft and 60min
> - offer a "+10m/30ft" button and a "+10min" button so people can go
> deeper / longer

That is stubbed out but doesn't work, yet.

> I will look into hooking this up so it allows us to actually create a
> dive :-)

I have much of that done. We don't do anything with that dive, yet, but
there are too many things missing in the user interaction, anyway, for
this to be useful.

If you now double click to create points and then drag them around
eventually deco will be added to the dive. There are odd visual
artefacts and there are a bunch of things that aren't right (I got it to
crash, once, but haven't been able to reproduce that).

So think of this as a WIP snapshot.