Import binary dumps

Jef Driesen jefdriesen at telenet.be
Tue Mar 19 13:33:23 PDT 2013

On 19-03-13 15:29, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> The universal binary does not produce XML files that Subsurface can
> parse at this point. It produces dumps of the dive computer memory that
> can be manually analyzed or fed to a simulator that Subsurface can then
> connect to. That should work on the Mac as well - but it usually
> requires that the libdivecomputer with which Subsurface is linked is
> compiled with a special patch - so this may or may not be something you
> can easily do by yourself...

The setup for using the simulator is described on the libdivecomputer website
[1]. The socat tool works on Mac OS X too, although you may have to compile it
yourself. The pre-compiled simulator binary you can download from the
libdivecomputer website too [2]. Last but not least, you'll need to compile the
libdivecomputer library with the "--enable-pty" option (this replaces the patch
that is mentioned on the website). This last step is important because without
this option libdivecomputer will fail when talking to a pty instead of real
serial port.

[1] http://www.divesoftware.org/libdc/simulator.html
[2] http://www.divesoftware.org/libdc/tmp/

Once you have everything, you start socat and the simulator:

socat PTY,link=/tmp/ttyS0 PTY,link=/tmp/ttyS1 &
./simulator -p /tmp/ttyS1 -b <backend> <filename>

In subsurface you use /tmp/ttyS0 as the serial port, and you can "download" the
data from the memory dump into subsurface.

Note that for several backends the simulator does not only need the memory dump,
but also auxiliary *.header and *.systime files. Those have to be created
manually from the logfiles generated by the libdivecomputer test apps. I can
help with that if necessary.

Jef