Ubuntu still shows 1.2

Miika Turkia miika.turkia at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 22:14:10 PDT 2013

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 6:35 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> On Mar 19, 2013, at 9:04 PM, Robert C. Helling wrote:
>

>> On Mar 20, 2013, at 3:46 AM, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>>
>>> And this is possible to do with Ubuntu as well and we had
>>> volunteers eager to set things up - but it hasn't happened, yet.
>>
>> I thought that had been done in
>> http://lists.hohndel.org/pipermail/subsurface/2013-February/004506.html
>>
>> … well, at least in principle.
>>
>> I could not try Yannik's .deb's directly since those are for AMD and my box is on intel.
>
> Please tell me you are joking. AMD64 is the name of the architecture that Intel calls x86-64, but since AMD came first to market with it that's the name that stuck.
> But most any Intel chip (with the exception of some Atoms) sold in the past five years does happily run AMD64 binaries.
>
> (and in the interest of full disclosure… I work at Intel - not that that's a secret or anything)
>
>> But I could clone Yannik's git repositories, place a tar ball of rev 3.0.1 in the directory above and run
>>
>> dpkg-buildpackage
>>
>> which created (amongst other things) a .deb that I could install using
>>
>> sudo dpkg -i subsurface_3.0.1-1_i386.deb
>>
>> Now the only thing remains is to bring this up to our current release. My naive tries to pull Yannick's repository into a current subsurface clone unfortunately resulted in a lot of conflicts.
>>
>> Will look into this after some more sleep (or if somebody with some more git knowledge could help…).
>
> As I feared, at the end of the day I need to figure out how to do this myself…

I should be able to build Debian Squeeze package (at least for 32 bit
arch, but hopefully also for 64 bit). And a Ubuntu 12.04 LTS as well.
I am hoping that just grabbing the raring source package and running
the build command on it on different installations should be enough...
It just might take until Friday before I have time to do this.

miika