Move to Qt?

Amit Chaudhuri amit.k.chaudhuri at gmail.com
Sat Mar 30 10:57:19 PDT 2013

Dirk,

elaborating....at least a little.

I think the guy on the link was trying to say he's had issues with
deployment of Qt apps when using dynamic libraries.  I've certainly found
it a bit painful moving apps from my development environment to others'
machines - especially in a work environment where the IT dept. might have
implemented an opaque policy on permissions in the file system. You need to
ensure you get the right libraries into your packages and if using specific
plugins they may need to be in a very specific place relative to other
components.  If we use KDE/Marble as a map widget, for example, that can be
built as a plugin with all that comes with that.

I don't think this is particularly Qt specific, but it would be a change
and it could raise challenges we've not yet dealt with.  The whole Qt4/5
thing  is probably part of that.  We've already had a "Qt5 please" but how
many Linux distros ship Qt5 today?