Move to Qt?

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Mar 29 11:27:03 PDT 2013

Amit Chaudhuri <amit.k.chaudhuri at gmail.com> writes:

> Dirk & Lubomir - your replies raise points I hadn't thought of and spark
> some other random thoughts.
>
> If Gettext is used for the translations, Qt also has an infrastructure for
> handing the same (Qt Linguistic).  I don't know how they compare from a
> translators PoV, but note the existence and acknowledge Dirk's link.

I have now heard from a couple of people that suggest staying with
gettext. Apparently KDE uses gettext on top of Qt as well.

> Subsurface use of pthreads  is pretty limited, unless I'm missing
> something.  Grep pulled out only one or two lines last time I looked. Did I
> miss a whole bunch of thread usage somewhere?

No, it's very limited. Mostly around downloading from dive computers.

> Someone in that second link makes a very good point about the dependency on
> Qt itself and the impact on distributing the application.

I'm not sure what you mean, can you elaborate?

> If I set my own bias aside, it looks to me as though things are fairly
> finely balanced in terms of resource and experience on the wider team.
>  I'll watch Dirk's follow ups with interest.

Here's an interesting post that was pointed out to me. More food for
thought.

http://blog.mardy.it/2012/05/from-g-to-q.html