having Marble find the right data files

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat May 25 10:53:02 PDT 2013

On Sat, 2013-05-25 at 10:41 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> >
> > I pushed the hack that implements this, just to demonstrate how this
> > works. So with the latest master you no longer need to copy directories
> > around...
>
> The map looks absolutely beautiful right now.
>
> The one missing thing is that if you select a dive site, instead of
> trying to show the wikipedia page etc, if it would switch to the
> dive(s) that have that dive site, that would be really really lovely.
> That way you could find your dives by geographic location.

I love that idea. Of course I don't know if there's an API to do that.
I'll poke around :-)

> Same goes in reverse, btw. When you select a dive with GPS data, the
> marble sphere rotates to that dive, but I think it would be nice if it
> zoomed in a bit more. It actually does it all correctly if you had
> *already* zoomed in, but if you start with the whole earth showing, I
> think we'd want to have some minimum zoom for "you selected a single
> dive, zoom in to some reasonable overhead view".

Sure, I actually noticed that myself and simply couldn't find the right
method to do so. Did I mention that I am underwhelmed by my ability to
find documentation for Marble?

> But this map is already *way* better than the old one. Very nice.

Yes, I think it's pretty stunning. Compared to the flat "Hawaii and Fiji
are nowhere near each other" map it's quite beautiful.

Have you played with the editing? That's another thing that I believe
has come a LONG way.