Manual: Dive computer download dialogue.

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Nov 17 06:52:29 UTC 2013

On Sun, 2013-11-17 at 08:26 +0200, Willem Ferguson wrote:
> I am slowly starting to generate some text for the subsurface manual,
> dealing with downloads from dive computer. In the dialogue for importing
> dives from DC there is an tick-able option "Always prefer downloaded
> dives". What does this mean?

Didn't we explain this in the existing manual? The downloading from dive
computer hasn't really changed all that much. The dialog looks
differently but overall it's very similar... Hmm, a quick check shows
that apparently we didn't.

The idea is the following:

normally we don't re-download old data from the DC. You can force that
with "Force download of all dives".
If you do that, we normally will prefer the data that's already in
Subsurface (in case it was edited). But in the case that we added a new
feature to libdivecomputer and can now read something from the DC that
we couldn't read before... then "Always prefer downloaded dives" gets us
to override what's in Subsurface.

This was very useful early on, especially when I was working on the
Uemis downloader which went through several massive changes - that way I
could get the improved data into Subsurface.

I honestly wonder if this is an option we can maybe drop in the new
version...

Linus, were there other cases were this was useful that I'm forgetting?