Shearwater Predator timezone handling

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Oct 2 12:05:24 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-10-02 at 11:54 -0700, James Sarrett wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I've got a Shearwater Predator that I have just got to download logs
> from, and it's great, except all the times seem to be incorrect.  It
> looks like the computer has no idea about timezones/locations, so it
> just uses whatever time it's set to.  It looks like libdivecomputer has
> no idea either and so it assumes UTC.  For me in California, this means
> all my dives are off by either 7 or 8 hours depending on DST.
>
> I'm not sure what the right fix is, but it's definitely a problem.

Almost all dive computers (and Subsurface) simply handle all times as
'local time'. There are a couple of DCs that get time zone data from the
host computer when connecting - and for those time zones get adjusted at
download time (which means times will be wrong if you download in a
different time zone than the one you were diving in.

I have a Predator as well and am in Oregon and don't see this problem -
so I wonder what's going wrong for you. I assume that the Predator shows
the correct time on the display?