Import XP5 dive data from Seemann software

Miika Turkia miika.turkia at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 23:16:39 UTC 2013

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 1:22 AM, Berthold Cogel <cogel at uni-koeln.de> wrote:

> Am 28.08.2013 01:36, schrieb Linus Torvalds:
> > On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 1:13 AM, Berthold Cogel <cogel at uni-koeln.de>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Before I switched to a Vyper Air, I made a lot of dives with an old XP5
> >> (Seemann Sub) and downloaded the dive data to the Seemann software.
> >> I can export the dives as ASCII-Files (one file per dive). How can I
> >> import the dives into subsurface? Is there a converter? Or a
> >> specification for an import file format?
> >
> > There's no "specification" for an import file format, but the native
> > subsurface xml is a very readable ASCII file, and subsurface will
> > import pretty much anything that looks remotely like xml, guessing (if
> > required) its way to something half-way reasonable. So turning some
> > other file into xml that looks even remotely like the native
> > subsurface xml will probably go a long way.
> >
> > What kind of ascii files are the Seeman Sub files? Are you willing to
> > share a few examples (possibly together with screen-shots of how the
> > dive looks in the native software, just so that we can match up units
> > etc)? We've written importers for various things, and it's not
> > necessarily all that hard.
> >
> > Alternatively, some files are so obscured on purpose (I'm looking at
> > you, Cochran) that importing them is totally impossible. The fact that
> > yours are ASCII
> >
> >             Linus
> >

> I made screenshots of three dives. One was with nitrox. And I imported
> the data in spreadsheets. The fields are separated by tabs. You can
> download the files together with the exported ASCII files:
>
> http://www.uni-koeln.de/~a0537/XP5.zip

Is the export file always "obfuscated" in German or can you export it also
in another language? Is the export unit always metric?

I had a discussion yesterday on IRC of importing a similar export file
(from AP Logviewer), ticket number 103. In this case the export looked
quite similar, but without the general information, just the table of
samples.

I'll take a look into some XSLT files that state they can convert CSV files
into XML. It would be really nice if we could just use our existing import
infrastructure to read in also these CSV files.

miika