Import XP5 dive data from Seemann software

Berthold Cogel cogel at uni-koeln.de
Tue Sep 3 00:51:56 UTC 2013

Am 03.09.2013 08:16, schrieb Miika Turkia:
> On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 1:22 AM, Berthold Cogel <cogel at uni-koeln.de
> <mailto:cogel at uni-koeln.de>> wrote:
>
>     Am 28.08.2013 01:36, schrieb Linus Torvalds:
>     > On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 1:13 AM, Berthold Cogel
>     <cogel at uni-koeln.de <mailto:cogel at uni-koeln.de>> wrote:
>     >>
>     >> Before I switched to a Vyper Air, I made a lot of dives with an
>     old XP5
>     >> (Seemann Sub) and downloaded the dive data to the Seemann software.
>     >> I can export the dives as ASCII-Files (one file per dive). How can I
>     >> import the dives into subsurface? Is there a converter? Or a
>     >> specification for an import file format?
>     >
>     > There's no "specification" for an import file format, but the native
>     > subsurface xml is a very readable ASCII file, and subsurface will
>     > import pretty much anything that looks remotely like xml, guessing (if
>     > required) its way to something half-way reasonable. So turning some
>     > other file into xml that looks even remotely like the native
>     > subsurface xml will probably go a long way.
>     >
>     > What kind of ascii files are the Seeman Sub files? Are you willing to
>     > share a few examples (possibly together with screen-shots of how the
>     > dive looks in the native software, just so that we can match up units
>     > etc)? We've written importers for various things, and it's not
>     > necessarily all that hard.
>     >
>     > Alternatively, some files are so obscured on purpose (I'm looking at
>     > you, Cochran) that importing them is totally impossible. The fact that
>     > yours are ASCII
>     >
>     >             Linus
>     >

>     I made screenshots of three dives. One was with nitrox. And I imported
>     the data in spreadsheets. The fields are separated by tabs. You can
>     download the files together with the exported ASCII files:
>
>     http://www.uni-koeln.de/~a0537/XP5.zip
>     <http://www.uni-koeln.de/%7Ea0537/XP5.zip>
>

> Is the export file always "obfuscated" in German or can you export it
> also in another language? Is the export unit always metric?
>
> I had a discussion yesterday on IRC of importing a similar export file
> (from AP Logviewer), ticket number 103. In this case the export looked
> quite similar, but without the general information, just the table of
> samples.
>
> I'll take a look into some XSLT files that state they can convert CSV
> files into XML. It would be really nice if we could just use our
> existing import infrastructure to read in also these CSV files.
>
> miika

I don't know if it's always German... At least I can only export German
with my installation.

It's a Windows 7 Ultimate with the virtual XP provided by Microsoft. As
far as I remember, the software needs a database that can only run in
Windows <= XP. And in 16 Bit-Mode... And I had problems with the driver
too. I don't remember if there are other language versions too, but I
think so. So perhaps the exports are always 'localized'.

I will look for the CD or the installation package of the software. It's
already an updated version. The original version had a 'Windows
3.11'-Look... Some Visual Basic stuff...

Berthold