Mandatory safety stop vs. deco

Lutz Vieweg lkv at 5t9.de
Tue Sep 10 15:23:18 UTC 2013

On 09/09/2013 05:50 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> So I'm sure there isn't a "right" answer. I think the Suunto
> "mandatory safety stop" is somewhat different from their normal "deco"
> thing

Hmmm, but the "mandatory safety stop" obligation disappears just like
regular deco stops from Suunto DCs before you reach the "safety stop" depth
when ascending very slowly during the end of the dive.
This I interpret such that to the Suunto, it is just an ordinary deco stop,
supporting the interpretation by Subsurface.

(Some other DCs insist on even the most ridiculous safety stops - as in:
  stop at -5m after decompressing at -3m. This is luckily not the case with Suunto.)

Regards,

Lutz Vieweg