ComboBox oddities..

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Wed Sep 25 13:50:46 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 1:28 PM, Tomaz Canabrava <tcanabrava at kde.org> wrote:
> Sorry to double post, cellphone mail client.
> It's on the main repository, in the master branch.

Ok, thanks. This is much improved.

I do notice a few problems still.

 - selecting the cylinder type with the mouse now works. Yay! But when
you click it the first time, you still get that odd "double exposure"
effect, where you have *both* the editable field *and* the selection
active at the same time. And they literally get written on top of each
other.

 - I had dives that due to the previous bug already had the cylinder
type (AL80), but did *not* have the cylinder working pressure and size
set. So I fixed them by selecting the same cylinder type again, and
now the display shows the working pressure and size. But when I save
the end result, nothing actually changes. I have to switch to another
cylinder type (say, AL100) and then switch back, and then it gets
saved correctly. Apparently there is some "nothing changed" logic that
is incorrect, and only looks at the type field.

 - when I select multiple dives, and then edit them, and then press
"OK", the dive selection goes away, and now only one dive is selected.

 - purely nit-picking: the header says "This dive is being edited.
Select Save or Undo when ready.". But the buttons are actually
"Cancel" and "OK".

Anyway, none of these problems are show-stoppers, and this is a huge
improvement over the previous state. Thank you. The most annoying one
(the second) is a result of the previous bug where the pressure/size
wouldn't be set. It probably doesn't matter in practice, but *when* it
happens it is very non-obvious indeed (because the screen shows
something different than what actually gets saved).

Oh, just tried to look at that first problem a bit more: the "editable
field" _and_ the "active selection" is actually worse than I thought.
If you try to edit it by writing a new (or old, for that matter)
cylinder type by hand (ie you select AL100 by actually _typing_ that
string, rather than picking it from the list of cylinder types), you
can type that value and it shows up messily overlaid over the
selection, but when you press Enter the data you typed is just
ignored.

                Linus