Ceiling Icons

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Apr 14 05:29:06 PDT 2014

On Sun, 2014-04-13 at 20:59 +0200, Willem Ferguson wrote:
> On 11/04/2014 20:49, Luisa Pires wrote:
>
> > Willem,
> >

> > I agree, if the graph is red, the graph in the button should be red
> > as well. I'm attaching the new version.
> >

> > Regarding the last three..if they work kind of as options of data
> > visualization, with more or less detail, within the same
> > function/graph, maybe they shouldn't be three separated buttons,
> > coexisting in the same level with other ones that control completely
> > different graphs.

Well, I kinda disagree. They each toggle a different aspect of the
graph. I don't want to make this too complicated by having "multi level
switching".

> > If the first one has to be activated for the other two to work,
> > maybe these two have to be bellow it's level of hierarchy. My first
> > thought was to suggest making them only one button, which would have
> > three stages: on the first click, the ceiling, on the second click,
> > the ceiling with tissue differentiation and on the third, the more
> > conservative ceiling with increments of 3m at a time.

I don't think this is how they should work. I'm more inclined to say
"whether tissues are shown and whether the ceiling is shown is more of a
preference - so move this back to preferences". And have simply the
button left that turns that ceiling on and off.

What do others think of this idea?

> Thank you for your careful thoughts. I think Tomaz and Dirk need to
> comment, as this is not my area of expertise whatsoever. The most
> simple solution would be to ensure that each of the three ceiling
> buttons work independently. In the previous version of Subsurface,
> there were three preset radio buttons for ceilings on the preferences
> panel. In essence, activating a button on the current toolbar is like
> launching the program with a different set of preset radio buttons on
> the preferences panel.
>
> Yet, I must say I find your suggestion very appealing of reducing the
> number of buttons on the present toolbar if it could be done in an
> efficient way.

I think that's what my idea would do. We'd still have the ability to
toggle the graph on and off right there, but would move the "modifiers"
to the preferences.