merge window == the time to break things

Davide DB dbdavide at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 08:48:31 PDT 2014

This is a follow up to my previous email on the dive list table.
I opened a ticket too and Dirk was a rocket on this.

http://trac.hohndel.org/ticket/712

I installed the latest build on my sub-par laptop (1280x800)
Before Install I set the Calibri font but the new installation left
everything as is (of course)
I tried to uninstall Subsurface and running a couple of registry
cleaner with no result.
Only dive list column size changed to the new values.

BTW once I set Segoe UI 9pt everything look to be ok.
The new headings are more professional and I don't think we have a
real size problem here. At least how I use the dive list table. I keep
the visible columns at minimum. I just use:

- Dive number
- date-time
- rating
- depth
- duration
- location

I saw other having more columns but I use that just for a quick look
and search. After that I select one and I have full info on it.

My personal opinion is to have the same font size on the whole
application while now the divelist (to save space) has always one pt.
less that the chosen size.
For date format I suggest having something like "EEE dd/MM/yy" e.g.
Tue 21/07/14. Localized, of course. We save space for month and year
but we have the day of the week info. I like to know if it was Monday
or Saturday.

given that horizontal space is a major concern I made two test.
The divelist on the latest build with the Segoe 8 (Win default -1) and
Segoe 9 (I set Segoe 10 on preference)
It seems to me that we have plenty of space with these columns.

I understand it seems a specious debate but on Windows this font size
doesn't seem to rendered well and the table seems like blurred at
screen on hi res display.

--
Davide
https://vimeo.com/bocio/videos