Top posting and quoting [was: Re: Need help to start contributing for Subsurface]

Henrik Brautaset Aronsen subsurface at henrik.synth.no
Sat Dec 20 05:07:11 PST 2014

Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> Listening: you have already been asked not to top post - it get's people
> here pretty upset. We really prefer sane and smart quoting. So remove
> everything of the previous email that isn't relevant to your response, and
> then respond BELOW what was said in order to answer to what's there. There
> are literally more than ten thousand good examples of this habit in our
> archives and you see dozens each day. Like this email.

This is a very good point:  "remove everything of the previous email
that isn't relevant to your response".   Avoiding top posting is good,
but that's not all there is to it.  There are many here who quote
seriously long emails, only to answer small parts of it somewhere in the
middle.

Maybe we should a add a section about email etiquette to the
Contributing page?

Cheers,
Henrik