After 4.3 is out...

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Dec 22 09:15:10 PST 2014

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 05:57:34PM +0100, Davide DB wrote:
> I remember that Anton was working on a full Subsurface on Android and
> it's great.

Yes, that's still on the "when we find someone with the time and
inclination to do it" road map.

> IMHO it would be useful to me only if I was able to download data from
> my computer as well, so in a liveaboard I could download and edit my
> dives right there...
> But maybe a far lighter approache would be just be able to breowse
> them in a smart way on my phone or tablet.
>
> So the question is: how I store my logbook remotely?
>
> I do not like giving (again) my personal data to companies as dropbox
> or google. Maybe a free Git repo?

You may be amused to learn that when Linus and I came up with the crazy
idea of doing git storage for Subsurface the actual goal had always been
remote git storage. And the reason why we wanted to do this was because we
figured that when working both on a computer and on a device you'd sooner
or later run out of sync so we wanted a format that has great support for
low bandwidth remote updates AND for easy merging if you made changes in
two locations. And unsurprisingly we decided to use git.

Since then more than a year has passed and we always had other priorities
come first. But it's still on my todo list. Tomaz offered to create a
wonderful UI for it, but first I need to implement the underlying logic...