support for images per dive

Robert C. Helling helling at atdotde.de
Sun Jan 5 02:41:51 UTC 2014

On 05 Jan 2014, at 07:55, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

Hi,

> Yes, that's kind of what I had in mind.
> Normally you'd just have a reference to wherever the picture / video might be in your filesystem.
> But you CAN export to a zip file that has everything. For sharing our archival.

I think including image data in the xml is a bad idea (think some 100s of images with a couple of mb each). But having all images in a special directory is not much better: I would think people have their images in all kinds of places as they also store them im albums, photoshop folders etc. One could just store a path to an image in the xml wherever it is. That is of course problematic if you move the xml to other computers as the images are not available then.

A solution might be to store an URI per image. Then the file could be in the local file system for fast access or on the web (flickr, picasa or some other album) and would be available wherever the xml is opened as long as there is internet.

Long ago, I hacked a proof of concept for this as a perl script (attached). Besides some other options it takes a path/list of files/URI and looks for images (possibly linked in an html file), reads the EXIF tag for the creation time and tries to link that based on time to a dive in an xml. If that matches, it creates an image event in the dive.

The idea would be to rewrite this as part of subsurface, but I did it in perl as a rapid prototype.

Best
Robert

                      Scientific Coordinator
print "Just another   Phone: +49 89 2180-4523  Theresienstr. 39, rm. B339
    stupid .sig\n";   http://www.atdotde.de