Shearwater Petrel Download Bug

Patrick Valsecchi patrick at thus.ch
Thu Jan 16 02:42:30 UTC 2014

Hi,

I've investigated this issue on Linux some time ago and contacted the
bluez mailing list about that. They totally ignored me but a week later,
another guy had the same problem and did a better investigation than me.
His conclusion was that if we open /dev/rfcomm0 in asynchronous mode and
then write to it, we are screwing bluez and the first write fails
because it happens before the rfcomm link is completely setup.

I've tried to modify the libdivecomputer to open in synchronous mode and
then set the fd to asynchrounous afterwards, but the dive transfer was
still failing on the first read operation. I've sniffed the USB
communication and looks like something is sending seemingly random
characters  before and after the command we send.

Since I had the impression that I was the only one with this problem in
the subsurface community and the bluez community was ignoring me, I've
quit after 8h of investigations.

CU