GSOC project updates

Venkatesh Shukla venkatesh.shukla.eee11 at iitbhu.ac.in
Mon Jul 28 08:03:41 PDT 2014

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 8:12 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> On Jul 28, 2014, at 7:39 AM, Venkatesh Shukla <
> venkatesh.shukla.eee11 at iitbhu.ac.in> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 8:03 PM, Tomaz Canabrava <tcanabrava at kde.org>
> wrote:
> >> Don't reimplement things if they already work ._.
> >
> > Things do work but not without Qt. And subsurface-android would not
> > have Qt dependencies. Hence, the reimplementation.
>
> Why? My understanding is that Qt is available for Android.
> Thiago?
>
> /D

Anton and I have decided that it is better not to use Qt on android. Not
using Java on android limits the things that are accessible. For instance
the USB Host mode. My implementation using the JNI and Qt library is ugly
and prone to bugs.

Hence the plan was to dump Qt as a whole from subsurface-android and start
fresh. Subsurface-library will be built containing all core functions
needed on subsurface and the user interface would be Xml and Java based as
is usual on android.

This will give us two big advantages :
1. All core functionality of subsurface is used directly. Hence new
developments will be valid for subsurface android as well with minor
tweaking for UI.
2. All android specific functions would be available on android with
relative ease.

Now, if we remove all the qt-ui files from subsurface-build, we also lose
some important functions which would be needed for proper functioning of
subsurface-library. For instance, the functions of qthelper.cpp and
translation. Hence, I was reimplementing those without using Qt libraries.

Please give feedbacks on this approach.

Sincerely
--
Venkatesh Shukla