GSoC Progress: Configuring Dive Computers via Subsurface

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Jul 28 08:06:58 PDT 2014

On Jul 28, 2014, at 7:45 AM, Thiago Macieira <thiago at macieira.org> wrote:

> On Monday 28 July 2014 07:33:19 Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>> And if course I'd love to see those patches signed off by your mentor as
>> well :-)
>
> The mentor has reviewed them and made comments on GitHub :-)
>
> Josh was working on cleaning up some of the issues I found.
>
> So the question is whether the cleanup comes in the form of fixing up old
> commits or adding new commits. I'm recommending just adding new commits for
> now.

I don’t have a firm rule for that.
I usually ask that commits don’t break the build (because that makes bisecting so much more painful). I don’t like it when people send me sequences like this:

revert A

(just rebase and drop A and revertA)

Or if two consecutive commits are

New code plus debug output
Remove debug output

(just rebase and squash them together)

But especially in longer series it seems to make little sense to try and make them look perfect.
Basically apply good taste and do what seems right. If I hate it, I’ll yell :-)

And yes, I would love a copy of the repository where you have signed off the commits that you have reviewed, Thiago. This will document that this was GSOC work where a mentor spent the time and effort to review the code before I pulled it.

Thanks