Testing of Subsurface Android application

Venkatesh Shukla venkatesh.shukla.eee11 at iitbhu.ac.in
Sun Jun 22 04:19:49 PDT 2014

Hello

As part of Google Summer of Code, 2014, I have had been trying to extend
the dive download capability of subsurface on to android. This feature, if
successful,
would be highly helpful. You could carry your android phone or tablet on
your diving trip and transfer the data directly to it. All the features of
subsurface
on your fingertips at any time.

As subsurface is built on Qt, it is possible to cross compile subsurface
for android. My mentor, Anton, had been successful in its cross compilation
for
android. The resulting application can be viewed at
http://www.github.com/glance-/subsurface-android.

For making subsurface accessible on android, two things are now essential.
1. A touch friendly user interface - Qt does a very good job of bringing
the  familiar user interface of subsurface to android. But it is not
completely
   usable on android. It needs lots of optimization for touch based device.
2. Mechanism for downloading of data from dive computers - Now, there are
two parts for this, the Bluetooth interface and USB interface. The users
who are
   used to transferring data to their systems using subsurface would expect
this to happen on Android as well.

As the first step in that directions, I have been working with Anton to
bring the USB dive downloading capability to android. I have had some
success in making the
mechanism possible. I need your help in testing the resultant application
with as many ftdi dive computers as possible.

There are two prerequisites for this application.
1. You have a dive computer which uses FTDI chips. A minimal list of
devices using ftdi chip is included here. If you are unsure, you can
confirm by running 'lsusb'
   command on linux and checking the vendor id of your divecomputer
chipset. If it is 0x0403, then it an FTDI chipset and you can therefore use
the above
   application.
2. You have an android device that has USB host mode enabled. USB host mode
enables usage of accessories with android, such as, keyboard, mouse,
pendrives, etc.
   Connect any of these things. If there is any response on your device,
you have USB host mode enabled device. You can use the attached application.
   Also, you must have a USB on the go cable for attaching these
accessories with your android device.

Testing can also be done using emulator.

I have attached an arm version and a x86 version of subsurface-android
application.
Chose the version as per the architecture of your android devices.

Following are instructions for usage:
1. Install the apk file attached on your android devices.
2. Connect the dive computer with your android device. A popup will be
shown asking for your permission to use the device. Press OK.
Subsurface-android will open.
3. Now, as is usual, go to menu on top right corner and select import.
4. Select import from divecomputer.
5. A dialogbox will pop up as in the desktop version showing various
options for download. Choose appropriate divecomputer company and device.
Leave the mount point
   empty. You don't need that on android.
6. Tick the logfile option and chose appropriate name for the file. Now,
press OK.
7. The application should behave as is usual on your computer systems. And
download all the data from your device. Please save it in a new xml file.
Compare with
   desktop downloaded files to see if there are any discrepancy.
8. In case of any errors, please send the log file saved over to me. Also,
if possible please extract logcat from the android device. That would be
highly helpful.
9. Repeat for hexdumps of your device, if supported.

Please give your feedbacks and opinions.

Regards

---
Venkatesh Shukla​​​​
​