Dive data import error with Hollis DG03

Rick Walsh rickmwalsh at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 00:43:41 PDT 2014

Hi,

Today I tried downloading my last few dives from my Hollis DG03 (uses
the oceanic_atom2 'protocol'), and it failed with 'Dive data import
error'. I updated subsurface to the latest git (from a version a
couple of weeks old), and the same error occurred.

Thinking maybe it might be getting confused with my old xml file with
>100 dives imported in previous versions of subsurface, I started a
new file. I tried it a few times, and each time I received the same
error someway through downloading data. Each time 2-4 dives were
downloaded. Most of the downloaded dive data looks correct, but once
max depth for two shallow (4.4m and 5.6m) pier dives were reported as
59.9m.

Previously it had been working as expected.

Can anyone make sense of this? I'm not sure if the bug is in
subsurface, libdivecomputer, the kernel driver, or the DC.

The last few lines of the libdivecomputer log are:
INFO: Read: size=1, data=5A
INFO: Read: size=9, data=7001EA1F842B00306E
ERROR: Failed to receive the answer. [in oceanic_atom2.c:359
(oceanic_atom2_transfer)]
INFO: Write: size=4, data=6A05A500
INFO: Read: size=1, data=A5

There is also another error message that occurs several time
throughout the logfile,
ERROR: Unexpected answer start byte(s). [in oceanic_atom2.c:321
(oceanic_atom2_send)]

Version information:
$ subsurface --version
Subsurface v4.0.2-602-g9cfc585563ac, built with libdivecomputer v0.4.2-devel

$ uname -a
Linux elmo 3.13.5 #1 SMP Fri Feb 28 22:30:40 EST 2014 x86_64 x86_64
x86_64 GNU/Linux

Note: I don't know if this is related, but earlier, I had been having
a problem connecting my DC. The DC screen is supposed to indicate that
it is connected to a PC, but often it wouldn't, and subsurface
couldn't detect it. I worked around this by removing the 'ftdi_sio'
kernel module, and trying again. It would connect, but sometimes took
a few tries. Before reporting a bug, I built the then latest stable
kernel (I see it's now one minor revision old), which appeared to fix
the problem.

I'm using Linux Mint 15 (don't start - it "just" works, as opposed to
"just works", and right now I cbf correcting that mistake), but with
an updated kernel.

I've attached my logbook, and the libdivecomputer logfile.