RFC: phone home

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Thu May 1 06:27:38 PDT 2014

This brings up a closely related issue that, maybe one should consider
taking part in DAN's PDE project. Or more accurately, allowing the diver
to take part in the PDE project. This involves sending most of the dive
information, with a medical data sheet completed 48h after a dive, to
DAN. This means sharing quite a bit of one's dive information, some of
which many divers would consider a private. As far as I can see this
would require another tab (in the Dive Info Panel  and to the left of
the Stats tab) in which the diver could fill in the medical sheet 48h
after the dive, as well as a button that would invoke an email client
with key fields pre-completed, ready to be e-mailed to DAN to try and
minimise the extra energy and time of sending this information after
each trip. The  Preferences panel would habe a check box where the dive
indicates participation in the DAN PDE project (running at around 200000
dives currently).

I suppose what I am really trying to say is that, for those dive manager
programs that participate in the DAN project, quite a bit of private
information is already shared. So the precedent is there.

As far as Subsurface is concerned, everything depends on how it is sold
to the user.
Kind regards,
willmf