RFC: phone home

Thiago Macieira thiago at macieira.org
Thu May 1 12:11:57 PDT 2014

Em qua 30 abr 2014, às 13:50:23, Dirk Hohndel escreveu:
> What do people think about this rough idea (post 4.1, don't worry)
>
> When Subsurface starts it checks the settings for a phone home key that
> contains version and date it last called home.
> if   a) the key doesn't exist
>   or b) there current version is different and the date is > 30 days ago
> Subsurface opens a dialog along these lines:
> "Hi, thanks for using Subsurface. The developers would love to get a
> better idea how many people are using Subsurface and especially on which
> OS are they doing so. Would you mind if we sent the following data to
> the Subsurface server: OS, Version?
> No other information will be transmitted, seriously check the source.
> This is done one time only - if you use a new version we'll ask you
> again. And if you say no, we won't ask you again (well, on this machine,
> your response to this data is stored locally in the settings)."
> (it would of course show "osx, 4.1" or "linux, 4.0.97" instead of "OS,
> Version") - and we could of course include slightly more detailed info:
>
> Mac OS 10.9
> Windows 8.1
> Fedora 20
>
> Would you say 'yes' to this question? Should this be implemented /
> phrased differently? Anyone vehemently opposed to the idea? Other
> suggestions?

I would say no to that question. However, if you also promise to check for a
new version of Subsurface for me, I might even let you run without asking me
again.

I don't expect Linux users to want a check for updates, since their package
manager would take care of that...

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358