help understanding a Windows crash report

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 14:07:27 PDT 2014

On 29 October 2014 22:52, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 06:46:12PM -0200, Tomaz Canabrava wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 6:38 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>>

>> > Running my latest daily build (not on the server, yet, for obvious
>> > reasons) I get the following crash. And I have no clue how to read
>> > those...
>> >
>> > Problem signature:
>> >   Problem Event Name:                  APPCRASH
>> >   Application Name:                    subsurface.exe
>> >   Application Version:                 4.2.0.349
>> >   Application Timestamp:               545147c1
>> >   Fault Module Name:                   Qt5Core.dll
>> >   Fault Module Version:                5.3.2.0
>> >   Fault Module Timestamp:              541cda2f
>> >   Exception Code:                      c0000005
>> >   Exception Offset:                    0000000000094d90
>> >   OS Version:                          6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.4
>> >   Locale ID:                           1033
>> >   Additional Information 1:            70c7
>> >   Additional Information 2: 70c70372fad2f93bb2b69b6202626cb6
>> >   Additional Information 3:            dfe1
>> >   Additional Information 4: dfe1b677b69a5298073538898968a3dd
>> >
>> > It looks like it's crashing in Qt5Core.dll - but how do I figure out what
>> > the rest means? There's an offset but no function name???
>> >

>> Dirk,
>>
>> Can you build the app in debug mode?
>> Qt libraries have them build in debug mode to help that kind of stuff.
>
> I remember this rat hole. My Qt libraries come from Fedora (cross built
> for Win64). A debug build of Marble alone is several hundred megabytes and
> takes roughly "forever"... and I have yet to be able to build a single
> installer that actually works as debug build.
> Literally. That's why I gave up trying to get Qt5 work in 32bit.
>
> Sooooooo frustrating.

send me a link to the installer and i can take a look.
normally the procedure is to generate a crash dump (.DMP) - e.g. on
Windows 7, while the crash dialog is visible hit CTRL + SHIFT + ESC
(open TaskManager), find the app.exe in the list, right click, Save
Crash Dump... then open the dump in WinDBG, write "!analyze -v" - but
it needs .PDBs (MSVC debug symbols) to be useful, etc...

without debug symbols one has to disassemble more or less.

lubomir