totally off topic [was: Re: messing with the gas / tank handling]

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Oct 30 07:57:55 PDT 2014

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 07:45:47AM -0700, Steve Butler wrote:
> G>  Once my EON Steel arrives we'll need to drive up to Hoodsport and do
> some data collection... :-)?
>
> As in Hood Canal, WA?  Somehow I thought you were located in Europe.  Guess
> I need to be more curious in the future!

Hehe. Linus, Thiago and I all three live in Portland, OR. But we're
originally from Finland, Brazil, and Germany, respectively.

I did almost all my dive training in Hoodsport, WA and occasionally
pretend to work there as a dive master or tec dive master. And as much as
I enjoy warm water diving, there is no warm water anywhere in driving
distance, so if I need to collect data, I drive up to Hoodsport -
especially for things like multi-cylinder diving or deco diving.

But since we are entirely off topic already... John Hawley, a coworker of
mine at Intel, is currently building the "Auto Diver". A contraption that
will allow us to automatically lower and raise a dive computer into a
pool... which makes it possible to add a lot of really boring dives to a
dive computer (for cases where we are concerned with things that happen
once there are tons of dives on a DC, e.g. for the EON Steel where we
don't know what will happen to its directory entries).

> --Steve (Enumclaw, WA -- OC mostly at Redondo)

So you're 60 miles closer to Hoodsport than we are :-)

> PS  Looks like I'll need to pick up a modern language like C to add to my
> ancient language list (COBOL, Fortran, PL/SQL, etc).  Become more useful
> here.

Yes, please. Especially, please pick up C++ and focus on Qt development.
That's the number 1 area where we need more active contributors :-)

After your tenth UI related patch I'll invite you to a dive weekend at the
Yellow House (only partly kidding).