Log for Tusa Zen DC

Robert Helling helling at atdotde.de
Fri Sep 12 00:29:12 PDT 2014

On 12.09.2014, at 08:55, Willem Ferguson <willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:

Willem,

I cannot contribute to the downloading problem, but…

> He wants to see more detail of gas loading because of the yo-yo diving inherent in introductory training.

don’t expect here too much: The diffusion based Buehmann model that we run does not see that. For it, staying 10 min at 15m and then 10min at 5m has pretty much the same effect than oscillating at high frequency between the two depths for 20min.

The bad effects from yoyo diving are really coming from bubbles (not covered by Buehlmann) than from diffusion: In very ascend, you grow the bubbles (in the sense of: increase the number of molecules per bubble) with gas from the tissues then upon descending again you compress the bubble (with Boyle) so it fits through the bubble filter that your lung is and in the next round puts again more gas in.

Looking at the profiles you sent makes me think that your friend put serious stress on his body to say the least. I guess he feels really tired after a day of diving like that. That’s the bubbles. I would seriously try to significantly limit the ascent and descent speeds even in training dives and if the diving pupils cannot hold that not let them go deeper than just a few meters (3-5).

Just my $.02
Robert

                      Scientific Coordinator
                      Phone: +49 89 2180-4523  Theresienstr. 39, rm. B339
                      http://www.atdotde.de

Enhance your privacy, use cryptography! My PGP keys have fingerprints
A9D1 A01D 13A5 31FA 6515  BB44 0820 367C 36BC 0C1D    and
DCED 37B6 251C 7861 270D  5613 95C7 9D32 9A8D 9B8F