Dive Computer Ramblings

Davide DB dbdavide at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 01:17:15 PDT 2014

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 9:34 AM, Willem Ferguson
<willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:

> The question is much more fundamental. It is about the way that a
> recreational diver needs to take care of her/his own safety and not to
> depend on others except in an emergency situation. Dive safety is largely
> dependent on consistent care and vigilance. The question is whether dive
> safety would actually be improved if a diver can dive knowing that if a
> problem arose: because the "net" takes care of this problem. What happens to
> care and vigilance and the three pillars of safe diving: knowledge,
> experience and skills? Do you just entrust these to your fellow divers? If
> the whole team had this attitude, then maybe no-one would have any of these
> vital skills? A computer cannot provide skills. It can only provide
> information.

I 100% agree and you raised two good points: underwater RF pollution and skills.

I'm curious about that Brick (with new Suunto dc, It's the second
brick of the week, we could open a contest...) from two point of view:

As a nerd and computer tech I'm curious how they transmit all these
information in a reliable way and useful range. As Linus pointed out,
wireless communication could be problematic underwater (and he was
speaking about a small distance: head - wrist). They state 70 devices
connected, maybe it's just a theoretical limit but it's huge. I'm not
a scientist or a TC engineer: which RF band should they use to have a
reliable connection of maybe 20 meters underwater?
Couldn't be dangerous for marine mammals (among the others)?

As a diver, this is a complete BS to me but I understand that it could
appeal to many (as usually BS do :) ).
I imagine this could be useful for divemasters and instructors
bringing in water people at their first underwater experience.
For other scenario this is just a substitute for proper skills. Maybe
I'm harsh but if I need someone who remotely checks my dive parameters
or, on the contrary, I have to check my buddy dive parameters, it's
better I stay at home. for mine and my dive buddy safety.
This is anerd attempt to fill a lack of skills.
I trust 100% my dive buddy otherwise he/she wouldn't be my dive buddy.
So we are anal retentive with predive checks and undewater controls.
nevertheless we need to communicate dive parameters one or maybe two
times in a whole dive.

I don't need an house arrest ankle monitor :)

--
Davide
https://vimeo.com/bocio/videos