Tissue graphs a la Petrel

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Sep 17 08:37:56 PDT 2014

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 04:14:32PM +0200, Robert Helling wrote:

> per request of two important members of this list, here is a plot that
> shows the same information as the bar graph of the Sherwater Petrel. It
> shows the inert gas partial pressures in units of the ambient pressure
> or the M-value. More details in the commit message.

Thanks for working on this.

> Positioning (together with the other items of the profile plot) still
> needs fixing (and is currently beyond my powers) and the on/off icon is
> not exactly working as it should. Help for these points would be
> appreciated.

Looking through the patches I don't see any red flags (but haven't done a
detailed review, yet).

On the visualization side... I wonder if this is as helpful as it could
be. It has SO MUCH information...

When I first envisioned this I thought it should give the user the data
for ONE point in time - just like the info overlay. So as you move the
mouse, the data changes, the bar graph changes. Which makes it more "like
the Petrel" and maybe makes it easier for the user to absorb the info. And
as you move the mouse it gives you the "movie" effect if done right.

What do you think, would that improve the usefulness?