Petrel 2 bluetooth link

Andrej Prsa aprsa09 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 15:21:51 PDT 2015

Hi Rick and Claudiu,

> > My apologies, I should have included this earlier. I am running
> > ubuntu 15.04 with bluez-4.101, and subsurface 4.4.2 via PPA. I
> > don't have windows/mac, so can't test other OSes (easily).
>
> I'm surprised that the current version of Ubuntu uses bluez-4, but it
> should still work with version 4.

As far as I recall, there was some discussion to update to 5, but it
was ultimately deferred to 15.10. I'm not really in the know, just
curious to figure out why they delayed it yet again. Stability, they
say.

> The daily build for Ubuntu can be installed from:
>
> ppa:subsurface/subsurface-daily
[snip]

That was good to know. :) I just cloned the git tree and started
building as per the INSTALL file, but this of course simplified it
greatly, thanks!

Unfortunately, still no-go. I got into the download screen, I found
Petrel in there already paired, but when I hit Download, after a few
seconds I get a red bar across the bottom of subsurface that says
"Unsupported operation", Petrel is still waiting for the PC, and the
terminal output is:

andrej at antares:~$ subsurface
Map theme file does not exist: ""
Ignoring to load the following file since it doesn't look like a valid Marble plugin: "/boot/initrd.img-3.19.0-25-generic"
Reason: "'/boot/initrd.img-3.19.0-25-generic' is not an ELF object"
Ignoring to load the following file since it doesn't look like a valid Marble plugin: "/boot/initrd.img-3.19.0-23-generic"
Reason: "'/boot/initrd.img-3.19.0-23-generic' is not an ELF object"
Ignoring to load the following file since it doesn't look like a valid Marble plugin: "/boot/vmlinuz-3.19.0-25-generic"
Reason: "Permission denied"
Ignoring to load the following file since it doesn't look like a valid Marble plugin: "/boot/vmlinuz-3.19.0-23-generic"
Reason: "Permission denied"
QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
Set the current dive site: 0
qt.bluetooth.bluez: Bluez 4 detected.
qt.bluetooth.bluez: void QBluetoothDeviceDiscoveryAgentPrivate::_q_propertyChanged(const QString&, const QDBusVariant&) "Discovering" QVariant(bool, true)
qt.bluetooth.bluez: Discovered:  "00:13:43:0E:68:77" "Petrel" Num UUIDs 1 total device 0 cached false RSSI -70
qt.bluetooth.bluez: Emit:  "00:13:43:0E:68:77"
qt.bluetooth.bluez: Discovered:  "00:13:43:0E:68:77" "Petrel" Num UUIDs 1 total device 1 cached false RSSI -71
qt.bluetooth.bluez: Duplicate:  "00:13:43:0E:68:77"
qt.bluetooth.bluez: void QBluetoothDeviceDiscoveryAgentPrivate::_q_propertyChanged(const QString&, const QDBusVariant&) "Discovering" QVariant(bool, false)
The connection on RFCOMM channel number 1 took more than expected. Wait another 15 seconds.
qt.bluetooth.bluez: void QBluetoothSocketPrivate::_q_readNotify() 22 error: -1 "Resource temporarily unavailable"
Failed to connect to device  00:13:43:0E:68:77 . Device state  QBluetoothSocket::UnconnectedState . Error:  QBluetoothSocket::UnknownSocketError
Set the current dive site: 0

I'd be more than happy to test and report on any issues I run into,
so I guess this is my first report. ;)

Thanks again for your help, enjoy your dive trip, Rick! I myself
am in Hawaii right now, dry for almost 24 hours but that'll change
soon.

Cheers,
Andrej