Testing Native Bluetooth support on Windows platforms

Claudiu Olteanu olteanu.vasilica.claudiu at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 13:36:05 PDT 2015

> On the Vista machine, the device name was displayed, even before I had
> paired.

I totally forgot about the existence of Windows Vista :). I will create a
virtual machine to see if I can reproduce your problem.

> I like that pairing is now 'invisible' to the user.  But it would be good
> if you could detect when downloading fails, and provide a more meaningful
> message to prompt the user to pair manually (this goes for all systems, not
> just Windows).

Unfortunately I am not sure if I can detect if the connection failed due to
pairing issues. I looked over the errors returned by Winsocket2 connect
method and the only one which could be useful is WSACONNREFUSED. If this is
the error returned by the connect method I can suppose that there was an
authentication error.
When I use the Qt Bluetooth API [1], there is nothing to suggest an
authentication error / connection refused.

I thought that I could write about this possible issue on the user manual
and our users will be aware about this potential problem.

> I didn't need to download the Microsoft C++ package on either system.  I
> can't remember doing it previously for either computer, but the Vista
> laptop is old, so there's a chance I did in the past and forgot about it.

When Steve reported his issue this was the first thing I had in mind
Therefore I removed the application and the Microsoft C++ x86 packages.
When I tried to install again the application I encountered the same
problem. That is why I thought that this could fix his issue. In his
scenario it seems that it was something wrong with the registers.

Anyway, thanks again for your help and I hope that your little vacation
went as expected.

Claudiu

[1] - http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qbluetoothsocket.html#SocketError-enum