Subsurface-mobile use

Steve stevewilliams at internode.on.net
Wed Dec 2 19:07:53 PST 2015

I just tested this and on the desktop app it works as described but userid
was only filled after closing and re-opening subsurface.

Odd. This works for me right away. I'd love to be able to recreate this
situation. Can you give step by step instructions?

- Opened subsurface (cloud storage is set default logbook)

- Made sure the cloud storage credentials were in the preferences.

- Deleted the web service ID from the preferences, clicked apply then ok to
close the box.

- Opened "Import GPS data from Subsurface web service"

Userid not filled in.

- Closed and opened subsurface

- Opened file, preferences, network and confirmed web service id was not
there.

- Opened "Import GPS data from Subsurface web service"

Userid was filled in.

Tried to test on mobile device by:

Uninstalling previous daily mobile app.
Installing the latest mobile app.
Setting my username / password combination in cloud storage.

Then testing the app by waiting to get log which never happened.
Looked in the log and it just says:
filename is now
https://cloud.subsurface-divelog.org//git/stevewilliams@internode.on.net[ste
vewilliams at internode.on.net]
<https://cloud.subsurface-divelog.org/git/stevewilliams@internode.on.net%5bs
tevewilliams at internode.on.net%5d>
0 dives loaded

That's very odd. Here are the last two commits in your git storage:

commit ef9bfb5a52c6151dc99065a5a0d0c4e4f435b6b9

Author: Subsurface < <mailto:subsurace at subsurface-divelog.org>
subsurace at subsurface-divelog.org>

Date:   Thu Dec 3 11:17:17 2015 +1030

    Created by subsurface 4.5.2-332-g1bfcf5c0f820

commit 3a5f59169f7a9223958ca20ba011c035317ebcf4

Author: Steve < <mailto:steve at netcraft.com.au> steve at netcraft.com.au>

Date:   Sun Nov 22 17:36:14 2015 +1030

    dive 246: Australia - South Australia - Mud Hole (Australia - South
Australia - Mount Gambier)

    Shearwater Petrel 2, Heinrichs Weikamp OSTC 3

    Created by subsurface 4.5.2.267

So somehow an empty dive list got saved on top of a populated git
repository.

I would have thought that the current code didn't do that, but it clearly
did... were you using the same daily build both on desktop and mobile? Or
can you tell by the version which one it was? I need to teach
Subsurface-mobile to identify itself as such when saving to git to make this
easier.

Desktop was still on 4.5.2.278

Mobile: 4.5.2.332

My working hypothesis would be that you entered the cloud email and
password. Then didn't load the dive list. But somehow ended up saving the
(still empty) dive list instead.

Does that sound like something that could have happened? I thought that
Subsurface would always try to sync first, but I'll have to make sure there
isn't something on the mobile side that breaks that assumption. Or it could
be a bug elsewhere...

Yes that is quite possible although I did try to load dives and then I
clicked save before closing to get it to remember the login
username/password details.

At which point I opened up desktop app and no dives loaded there either.

Yes, because they were deleted overwritten. Of course it's trivial to just
remove that last commit. Let me know if you want me to do this (you can do
that as well from the command line).

No worries I can do that, then I will test again.

Just small usability improvement that would improve things is in landscape
the page to enter your email address not all the address is shown and you
can't touch/hold drag it across to show it all.
If you turn it to portrait then you can see the long fields but the same
problem with the bottom of the screen you can't drag to click the bottom
buttons.

Yes, there are a few issues with those data entry fields. Sebastian is aware
of them (I think).

Thanks for the report. This is definitely we want to fix before this sees
broader use!

/D

It is definitely coming along really well.

Steve