Images and cloud storage

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Thu Dec 3 22:47:07 PST 2015

On 03/12/2015 23:10, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> If you want I can just blow the repo away and you can start from scratch
> with a small one. Or you can use an alternative email address for a
> second, smaller repo. Let me know.

Please kill the repo. Will the credentials remain valid? I have plenty
of local backup, so I definitely have no need for images in the
Subsurface repo. The images were unintended.

Question. The option of "synch dive log in background" is activated and
I save dives to the Subsurface cloud with the images on a non-connected
source (so the images are referenced in the log but they are not
accessible). If, after saving to cloud, I now connect the drive with the
images to view these images within Subsurface, would the background
process see these images and synch them?

About thumbnails. I think it would be super if it were possible to store
thumbnails of the images in the repo. This would allow cursory
inspection of the images associated with a dive, even if the full-size
images are only available on an external drive that is not connected at
that specific point in time. But even this is not an easy issue. I have
been playing around with scaled down jpeg versions of some of my images
and, for having a usable thumbnail, I cannot get the size of a 200 by
150 pixel image below about 3 kB. If one has 1000 users each with 10000
images, the disk space required would still not be trivial at all and,
for trigger-happy photographers, the thumbnails may easily need more
space than the dive log itself. And in real life there may be more than
1000 users with images using the cloud storage. And then, from a
software point of view, the thumbnails need to be created, stored and
correctly referenced by Subsurface.

I would like to hear what the other photographers on this mail list think.

Kind regards,
willem