CCR dive logs for APD

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Sat Feb 7 01:28:03 PST 2015

On 07/02/2015 10:28, Miika Turkia wrote:

> I would like to go to the direction that is most beneficial for the
> users. Importing both computers in one go the way we currently
> download from multiple dive computers should be very easy to
> implement. I actually think this to be even easier than letting the
> user to select which one to import :D
>
> Your suggestion for an additional dialog should be quite straight
> forward as well. All of these approaches are quite fine by me, but (as
> said) I would really like to take a path that is most useful (and
> convenient) for the users.
>
> miika

Miika,
Thank you so much for your positive comment and approach. Given a free
choice, I would like to keep the user experience fairly close to what it
is in the proprietary APD software, that means importing both dive
computers simultaneously.

The export as seen from the proprietary sofware's point of view (OS=Win)
is crude. The user copies the whole log onto the Win clipboard using a
special button within the APD software. From there the user has to
perform everything manually. This means opening a text editor (probably
Notepad) and pasting the clipboard into the editor, then saving the
file. I think it is reasonable to require that, in saving, the user
provides a specific file extension (.apd, .APD, .Apd, .aPD, whatever; it
is reasonable to provide for a case-insensitive user-provided
extension). The most sophisticated and slick UI would of course be for
Subsurface to grap the Win clipboard directly so that an intermediate
text editor is unnecessary, but I am not convinced we want to go that
way because it deviates totally from the way we do things currently. The
software is Win-only; on other OSs one needs to run a VM.

Hope this makes sense.
Kind regards,
willem