Editing sites of existing dives

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Feb 14 11:33:33 PST 2015

On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 06:24:51PM +0200, Benjamin wrote:
> Seems like at some stage there was a brainfart on my side. When I open up
> the v2 XML file, I find that the coordinates are listed as identical.

There's this saying... garbage in, garbage out... there's nothing the code
can do if they have the same coordinates. We might want to preserve the
different names in the notes or something...

> Subsurface seems to have merged the sites and just used the first name
> which was listed.

Yeah, that sucks. I'll fix it so that at least the other names are
preserved. But the actual fix most likely is to use Subsurface 4.4, adjust
the GPS locations, save a V2 file and THEN importa again into V3...

> When using the dive site management screen, if the user has ONLY changed
> the dive site name would it be possible/feasible/sensible to ask the user
> if this is a new dive site when "Apply changes" is selected? If it is not a
> new site, then update the name. Otherwise require the user to either change
> the GPS coordinates manually, or to select a new point on the globe
> component before allowing the data to be saved? If the user has already
> changed both the name and the coordinates in some way before selecting
> "Apply changes", then just create the new dive site.

That applies a dive centric view to this. What we do need is a logical way
to create a new site. Right now we don't have a way to do that. Oops.

What I think would be logical is on the Dive screen to type in a new name
and then click "manage". Right now that ignores the new name and gets you
back to the previous site. But if we see a new name entered there we
should instead create a new site and then manage that.

I have more time this afternoon and will add that.

> A list of sites and locations could be displayed, so that the user can
> browse/add/edit/delete sites without needing to choose a dive in order to
> access the site management functionality.

That is a separate UI question and yes, I thought about that one as well.
We definitely need a dive site centric view. Not quite sure how one would
enter that view... maybe we could have a menu entry... and then replace
the dive list with a list of dive sites? That sounds almost reasonable :-)

> Does the above make any sense, or has narcosis blown my grey matter to hell
> already? :P

Well. I wouldn't want to judge :-)