Dive site tags [was: IMPORTANT information about current master: dive site management]

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Feb 15 07:12:33 PST 2015

On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 12:55:14PM +0100, Henrik Brautaset Aronsen wrote:
> On 15 Feb 2015, at 12:41, Henrik Brautaset Aronsen <subsurface at henrik.synth.no> wrote:
> >
> >> - it is slow (I have 127 distinct GPS fixes in my dive log and it took
> >> about 20 seconds to open a V2 export of that logfile). I have no idea
> >> how horribly slow it will be in other geos / for people with slow
> >> internet connection. I haven't even tested what it does with no internet
> >> connection... I bet it's horrible
> >
> > I tried it with my 600+ dives.  Took about a minute.  Not too shabby, actually.  With a progress bar it would be OK.    We could even have an option next to that progress bar to stop resolving locations.
> >
> > So, we're only getting country from that service?  Not region/county?
>
> Just looked at the service.  Looks like we can get lots of stuff.  Maybe
> we could use the first and last part of the display_name?  It seems to
> give fairly sane values for the places I tried.

Yes, we can lots of stuff. But this gets us back to the question "what do
we want". Some people want nothing. Some want body of water / country.
Some what city / state / country.

One way around that is to tag the tags. we have this concept of a tag
source. Maybe that can be used here to show which attribute from geo
location was used to create a tag - and allow the user to remove all tags
that are "country" or "city" or "state". One problem with that approach is
that today we only have this in memory, but that could be a simple
extension of our syntax: store these tags as
country{}Germany
state{}Baden-Württemberg
state_district{}Regierungsbezirk\ Tübingen
county{}Bodenseekreis
town{}Meersburg
suburb{}Riedersweiler

Where the optional part before the {} is the source (in this case it's the
attribute given by the reverse geo lookup API of openstreenmap).

And then the user can simply decide to delete all tags that are
state_district, county, town and suburb.

Remember, we can use this reverse geo location API not only when importing
V2 files, but we should add a button that decodes any GPS location,
regardless where it came from.