Download from Suunto Gekko - procedure?

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Sun Jan 4 20:02:50 PST 2015

On Jan 4, 2015 5:50 PM, "Gary David" <gdavid at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> I came across your post this evening whilst looking for a simple
> way to download the data off my ageing Suunto Gekko dive
> computer. Is there a way to do this? If so, I would appreciate any
> guidance you could provide as I am not that technical/a
> programmer but am IT-literate!

It's been some time since I had access to a gekko, but it should "just
work".

Like the other older-generation Suunto dive computers, you'll have to put
the gekko into "PC" mode, or whatever it is called. Suunto documents it as
some kind of magical setup mode for use by servicing, but it's just the
regular download mode. Then subsurface will download the dive data like any
other Suunto computer.

Now, if you actually want to download things into suunto's own dive manager
application (but why would you?), you'd have to write a magic value to a
specific location in the gekko memory. That will fool dive manager into
believing that the gekko is actually a vyper, and then you can download
from it even into dive manager.

But subsurface doesn't even need tricks like that. Just connect the
download cable and put it into download mode, and off you go.

       Linus