CSV import

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Wed Jan 7 05:01:31 PST 2015

I have a Subsurface xml file log (7 dives) that I export to CSV,
checking the option "CSV dive details". Two issues:

1) The Subsurface exported CSV data are comma-delimited, yet the
Subsurface import panel has a default of tab-delimited. Given the column
headings provided by the CSV export file, it should be rudimentary to
test for the delimiter used and set the preference in the import panel
accordingly.

2) This brings up a second issue. The Subsurface export file provides
headings upon re-import into Subsurface and the  CSV import table shows
the imported heading in row # 2. So, it's not necessary to supply the
headings because they were provided by the import file. But now, what
should one do with the empty first row of the table? See attached
screenshot 1.

3) I have dive notes that look something like this:

Dive plan:

48m     12 min

asc 30m   2 min

30m         1 min (deep stop)

asc 15m     2 min; switch EAN50 20m

15m     1 min

12m   2 min

9m    3 min

6m     5 min

4.5m       13 min

Total run time: 41 minutes

The dive notes are given, 1 line at a time, in the import table (see
attached screenshot 2). Result is that each dive takes several rows of
space in the import table: impossible to parse for import.

In hand-prepared CSV imports, the program handled the information much,
much better.
Kind regards,
willem