Moving project to Android Studio

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Jan 13 01:12:26 PST 2015

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 09:33:46AM +0100, Aurélien PRALONG wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > are you still maintaining the companion app?
> Well, I don't see many features which could be added, and users don't ask
> either. So yes, I'm maintaining it, but there is no work on it, unless we
> add desktop features. By the way, I personally don't think doing a pure
> Android port would be a great idea,

We have been quite clear about this. We do NOT want to see a Java /
Android UI.

> as a Qt mobile port would allow both
> iOS and Android, while reusing existing code... Have you plans on it ? And,
> just curious, was the libdivecomputer port on android (GSoC project)
> functional ?

We have a reasonably working Qt/Android build. Right now it doesn't
compile (the FB support broke that), but Tomaz is redoing that so I'll
wait for his patches. But getting it to compile isn't really hard, either.

https://github.com/glance-/subsurface-android

Libdivecomputer should work on some tablets / phones (with USBtoGO) and
with FTDI serial/USB cable based dive computers (but has received
literally no testing).

> Concerning Android Studio. I personnally still use Eclipse : the android
> plugin is still maintained, and will probably be. I understand the hype
> around IntelliJ IDEA, but unless we add features to the companion, I'm
> against changing the environment (overkill).

Even if Kurt already did the work?

I played with Android Studio a bit and it seems neat. But in a way you are
right, if we aren't making any changes, then this might be unnecessary
thrash.

Kurt, did you have any specific plans? Or did I manage to convince you
when we talked today that maybe you might want to spend time on the
Qt/Android build of Subsurface instead?