subsurface installation blues on Fedora20

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Jan 21 11:00:00 PST 2015

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 08:32:09PM +0200, Willem Ferguson wrote:
> I have been trying to get recent versions of subsurface installed on
> Fedora20.
>
> 1) When trying to build from source, I get complaints probably relating to
> Qt5 (or more accurately, lack of Qt5.
> .uic/ui_plannerSettings.h:394:25: error: ‘class QComboBox’ has no member
> named ‘setCurrentText’
> qmake or qmake-qt5 do not exist. Doing qmake-qt4 --version gives Qt V 4.8.

Yes, Subsurface doesn't build out of the box with Qt4 anymore. I have a
patch that fixes that, but I don't have an elegant way to have both work
at the same time. Everything (except Ubuntu 12.04) is build with Qt5 now.

> I can easily install the whole of Qt5 (which includes QtBuilder and all the
> development tools) from the Qt site.
> But I want only the libraries required by Subsurface.
> Is there a list of .so files somewhere, indicating the minimum set for Qt5
> that Subsurface requires?

The INSTALL file should have that. I am on Fedora 20 here building with
Qt5 and it works without a problem.

> 2) Then I tried doing the manual install using yum, as described on the
> Subsurface install page. Now I get libgit2 problems.
> Loaded plugins: langpacks, refresh-packagekit
> No package libgit2.so.21 available.

Hmm, that sucks. This used to work. I test installed the packages from the
repository on a clean VM.

> 3) Then I tried doing a direct download of the binary:
> subsurface-4.3-22.1.x86_64.rpm
> This one terminates:
> The remote software origin name was not found. Cannot find repo local.

4.3-22.1 --- hmm, that's odd. Where did you find that? That's quite old
and I worry if we offer that somewhere.

> What is the quickest way out of this?

The quickest way should be to install the things that we have in the
INSTALL documenent for Fedora and build from source. But I really need to
investigate what's up with libgit2 and why it isn't pulled in with the
repository... but doing that from Fiji seems like a stretch. Internet here
is great for a dive destination, but not all that great compared to what I
have at home :-)