Problems? Questions about CSV import

Miika Turkia miika.turkia at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 09:48:16 PST 2015

On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 7:29 PM, Willem Ferguson <
willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:

> Miika,
>
> I am trying to do CSV imports without a lot of success. Either I have a
> inept fingers or the interface is still in development? I just want to
> confirm:
>
> The CSV import places a number of potential headings in the top part of
> the dialogue. One has to drag these headings down and drop them into the
> row of blue cells using an appropriate column.

That is the idea of Tomaz's new GUI. With the pre-configured imports, this
is generally not needed as they usually just ignore this part of the
configuration. But for the normal manual import this is the way to do it.

When you are importing dive details, then you just select the versions
without sample in them. When importing dive profile, use "Sample time",
"Sample depth" and the likes.

> Any within-file headings that the CSV file may have are replaced by the
> headings that are dropped onto the table. That is supposed to be more or
> less it?

Yep, in fact the header line is discarded from the CSV file on import
(except on Mac this is currently buggy and produces a zero dive). This
configuration only tells the import of what information is on what fields.

> I attach a CSV log and the XML generated on Fedora when using the CSV
> dialogue, specifying the APD template. When using the general template I
> get the same result. The same also happens on Ubuntu.

Problem with this CSV file is that each line is quoted. First character is
" and last character is ". Thus the actual import thinks there is only 1
field available. Unfortunately the parsing of the file differs from the one
used on the GUI so this kind of data might be confusing. (Your file works
when getting rid of the quotation marks.)

miika