Week 6 GSoC Progress Update (Android Port)

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Jul 6 11:04:48 PDT 2015

On Tue, Jul 07, 2015 at 03:53:35AM +1000, Rick Walsh wrote:
> Our local sea conditions change rapidly.  Frequently, the scheduled dive
> site is altered an hour before the boat leaves.  Or a boat is cancelled
> because not enough people booked onto it.  Either way, much of the time we
> end up diving a different site than what we planned when we left home.  Now
> our original plan isn't valid anymore.
>
> So, it would be a killer app feature from my point of view too.  In fact,
> I've been considering paying for a commercial app that does this.

Cool. Thanks for the input. So yes, we'll add that. Save you some money.
You can make up for it by testing and contributing and reviewing :-)

> > Excellent. That's why I said "I simply don't know" :-)
> > Thanks for the concrete examples. So let's figure out how a UI for that
> > should look.
> >
> > > I would just love a simple planner.
> > >
> > > For me it could be as simple as:
> > >
> > > Depth, time, gas, deco-gasses, and it just does drop-stone-mode and
> > > gives me whatever is in the "Dive plan details" view.
>
> This is all I'd want most of the time.  Quick and easy to use and copy to
> wet notes.

Excellent. That should be doable.

> > > ( I even might wire it up myself, now when i think about it =)
> >
> > That's of course always a good idea. The more people figure out how to
> > work on the QML interfaces, the better.
> >
> > But if I may share my personal list of priorities (and even if you don't
> > want me to, how would you stop me?):
> >
> > Anton:
> >
> > 1) get us back to be be able to build an APK
> > 2) do some testing of what we have for VPM / planner - any red flags?
> > 3) anything else
> >
> > Grace:
> >
> > 1) profile support
> > 2) download dialog using BT
> > 3) more gestures for a more natural UI
> > 4) testing on Android
> > 5) anything else
>
> I assume it wasn't part of the original intended GSOC scope, and extra
> mid-way feature requests are a great way to get off track.  It would be
> great if someone can implement it.  And thanks Anton for volunteering.  But
> I agree the focus should be getting a working and tested Subsurface app
> first.

Yes, I don't want Grace to get distracted by this - much as I love the
vocal tech divers... we have more than 5k users and my guess is we'll get
quite a few more for an Android app. And dive planning may not be the #1
feature they are looking for.

So yes, I definitely support adding this and given the infrastructure that
we have it shouldn't be too hard to do so. But one thing at a time.