More Location Fixes.

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Jul 14 07:29:40 PDT 2015

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 04:05:57PM +0200, Davide DB wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 3:27 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> >
> > And like it or not, our preferences do matter a bit
> > here.
>
> Absolutely unnecessary statement.

Nah - the occasional reminder that there are people here who have certain
preferences...

> I'm not trying to impose my view but just contributing with my view
> for the sake of a better application.

You are. And I'm grateful. Very grateful. Your work has really brought us
along. I just pointed out that we need to make sure that the workflows we
come up with make sense for Linus and I as well. See the emails that Linus
sent on that topic.

That was not at all intended to be perceived as a negative comment on the
awesome work that you do helping us to figure out what the right flow
should be in the end.

I think this is just another case of email being an imperfect
communication mechanism. Sorry that I chose my words poorly.

> >> BRANCH #FIVE
> >>
> >> 1. empty location field
> >> 1.2. GPS data (e.g. from Subsurface web service - dive site with no name)
> >> 1.2.1. user types in name, picks one of the completions
> >> 1.2.1.1 completion has GPS data
> >> 1.2.1.1.2 completion GPS is different from the incoming GPS data
> >>
> >> Hummmm
>
> This one?

I really think that if the completion has GPS data that's the GPS data we
pick. We can add something like "by picking this dive site your GPS
location moved by approximately NNNN m/km/miles/light years" for cases
where that move is more than 20m or 50m.

> > I did notice that in all the cases above you forgot about the a)/b)
> > (accept/reject). In most cases that's kinda obvious (just discard).
> > And I think even in the cases where this would have created a new dive
> > site we just discard it.
> >
> > For now I think the simplest logic would be to assume that all changes
> > made go away and we are exactly in the same state as before this edit
> > operation started.
>
> This was my intention. For the sake of simplicity

Good.