default colors for print [was: Re: [PULL REQUEST] GSoC Printing: part 5]

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 11:12:36 PDT 2015

On 28 July 2015 at 20:59, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 06:47:35PM +0300, Lubomir I. Ivanov wrote:
>> > That's not exactly intuitive. But once we find a color palette that's
>> > reasonably pleasing to the eye maybe this is not too bad...
>> >
>> > With the deepest respect to your ability as a developer, Gehad, neither of
>> > these two appears to be the winner, yet. We can do better than this.
>> >
>> > Which of course means that I need to design a color palette. Then Linus
>> > will come in and will create the ONE TRUE color palette and curse anyone
>> > who disagrees, after which some unknown student will create the perfect
>> > template that awes us all.
>> >
>> > OK, maybe I'm over-planning this one...
>> >
>> > :-)
>>
>> i try to say away from color, music, food and similar debates as
>> everyone seems to have a preference. :-)
>> as a rule of thumb, the people with the highest rank and privilege
>> should (e.g. the client) should make the picks.
>>
>> in the case of Subsurface, that would be you and Linus.
>
> Ha! Rank! Privilege!
>
> (that means that whenever there's a bill to pay I'm the one to pay it, right?)

touché!

>> this website has a nice search engine which can be used as a starting point:
>> http://www.colourlovers.com/
>>
>> for instance, here are some example palettes, from which we can take
>> only certain colors:
>> http://www.colourlovers.com/palette/617935/Dutch_Seas
>> http://www.colourlovers.com/palette/1253503/shifting_sands_sea
>
> I looked at these and many others and nothing seemed to work.
>
> So I started with the two colors used for the gradient in our logo and
> modified their saturation and value, keeping the hue intact. By playing
> with this I came up with something that works fairly well for me.
>
> And falling back on the Rank! and Privilege! comment earlier I pushed a
> patch that made this the new default colors. My apologies, this messes
> with existing settings as I want this to be index 0 (default) and
> inserting this new index at the beginning causes the stored settings to
> now be changed. Um. Bad. Oh well. You have been warned.

looks good.
one thing though, we might want to set the Background color for all
bundled palettes to solid white as printers tend not to like flood
fills on the whole page.
but perhaps add another more colors like "Background 2" or  "Table
cells 2" to have more options?

>> i guess we can bundle something like 3-4-5 color schemes as a start.
>
> We now have three.

if users demand more, we can add them up to 4-5.

> BTW: when playing around with setting the colors, looking at things, going
> back, hitting apply, cancel, etc I several times managed to have a color
> (or in one case two colors) reset to #000000 (black). So there is
> something fishy here, but I'm not able to give you a deterministic set of
> steps to reproduce this :-(

that's odd, Gehad can you reproduce this one?

lubomir